Arson is a serious crime and can cause significant harm to people, property and the environment. Arson is taken very seriously by the authorities in the UK, and those found guilty of arson can face substantial prison sentences. Regardless of this, the sad fact remains that arson attacks have been steadily increasing in the UK over recent years.
The largest cause of fires attended by the Fire & Rescue Service (FRS) in the United Kingdom is arson. In 2017/18, arson accounted for over half of all fires attended by the FRS. Most arson attacks are opportunistic crimes and can be discouraged with measures such as security lighting, CCTV and staff vigilance.
But measures can also be taken to suppress and extinguish a fire before it spreads and consumes an entire unit or building, such as a fireproof letter box, and FPC is here to help protect your business with these innovative and essential items.
What is a Fireproof Letter Box?
A fireproof letter box can significantly reduce the risk to your business of an arson attack and can also help stop the spread of any fire that breaks out in, or near, your premises. Installing a fireproof letterbox has several benefits, including:
- Fire Protection: A fireproof letter box can help prevent the spread of fire in a building. This is especially important in multi-storey and multi-occupancy buildings, where a fire in one unit can quickly spread to others.
- Fire Rating: A fireproof letter box will ensure a fire door remains fire-rated, should it need a letter delivery aperture, IE for departments within your business or if your business shares premises with others.
- Property Protection: A fireproof letter box can protect your important documents from being damaged or destroyed in the event of a fire.
- Insurance: Installing a fireproof letter box may lower your insurance premiums, as it shows that you have taken steps to reduce the risk of fire and its impact on your property.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that your staff, stock, documents and possessions are protected from a fire can give you peace of mind and a sense of security.
We provide a full range of fireproof letter boxes here at FPC, in several different finishes to suit any door. We also provide intumescent letter plate liners that are perfect for existing mail apertures.
How Do I Protect My Business from Fire?
A fire is a devastating event for any business, leading to significant property damage, lost revenue and increased insurance costs. A leaflet produced by the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) contains the alarming fact that 86% of businesses that have a fire never recover from it. As well as ensuring your letter box is protected, you can consider the following fire safety and prevention measures:
- Check Your Fire Alarm System: Regular testing and maintenance will ensure your fire alarm system is ready to do its job should a fire be detected. UK law states all business premises must have an appropriate fire detection system.
- Implement Security Measures: Consider installing security cameras, lighting and an alarm system to deter arsonists and to help identify suspects.
- Secure the Building: Ensure that doors and windows are securely locked, especially at night. Consider installing bars on windows and deadbolts on doors.
- Remove Potential Fire Hazards: Remove flammable materials from the premises, such as any fuel, cleaning supplies and excess paper, to reduce the risk of arson. Don’t give opportunists an easy target.
- Educate Employees: Make sure your employees are aware of the signs of arson and what to do if they suspect a fire has been started deliberately. Encourage them to report and document any suspicious behaviour, even if it may seem insignificant.
- Work with Local Authorities: Collaborate with your local FRS to develop a plan for responding to arson. Provide them with information about your business, including access points and evacuation routes.
- Insure Your Property: Make sure your insurance coverage is up-to-date and includes protection against arson. Installing fire prevention and suppression systems, such as a fireproof letterbox, may even lower your premiums.
By implementing these measures, you can reduce the risk of arson and protect your business in the event of an attack.
Buying a Fireproof Letter Box in the UK
Fireproof letter boxes are a vital first line of defence against arson attacks, but it’s always good to install other fire prevention and suppression measures around your premises to fully protect your business.
At FPC, we can advise you on the full range of fire protection options. To talk to the experts today, call us on 01384 633 660, or email email@example.com.